I just got nominated for a Liebster Blog Award by Montana Designs! (If you haven’t read her blog, btw, get over there and do it NOW. If for no other reason: she recently knitted a super kawaii hat with ears on it, and not just that – she sews too. Awesome with a capital A) And it certainly has brightened up my weekend! 😉
Well pip-pip-hurroo and how’s your uncle!
*unsubtle Blackadder reference*
Liebster Blog Awards are designed to share the love of blogs with less than 500 followers, (I’m just counting it as WordPress followers, not facey likes or anything, fyi, because I’m a soprano, ergo numbers confuse me) with these rules:
1. Why did you start crafting?
Because clothes are expensive and ill-fitting. At least if the ones I make don’t fit me, I can only blame myself, and as a soprano on a budget it’s better to spend $150 on silk for a completely unique, structurally-sound, exactly-how-I-want-it gown than have to go to a store and spend $500+ on a lacklustre, polyester thing that needs 5″ taken out of it before it’ll fit right.
2. Would you consider making a business from your crafting?
3. What other hobbies do you have?
Drawing (constantly), drinking litres of tea (also constantly), eating, wallowing in my favourite trashy novels, nerding around with manga, anime and board games, growing scraggly vegetables, pretending I’m wildly fashionable, and patting other people’s cats.
4. What music do you like?
For singing: Puccini (when I can sing this thing without stopping to cry…) and Berg (hang out for the high D at 2:04). For listening: French Baroque music. For thinking: Webern (it starts at 0:50). For general awesome: The Rite of Spring (this video has an animated graphic score, which is mesmerising)
5. What films are you into?
Anything so long as it’s sci-fi, Western, horror, animated, related to superheroes or has Arnie in it.
6. Favourite colour and why?
7. Where are you from and what’s interesting there?
I’m from a small town called Berry on the South Coast of NSW, Australia (oh hi, stalkers!). It has scenery, the fragrance of cowpats, too many tourists on the weekends, and Rupert.
8. Who inspires you?
Pretty much everyone I know.
9. Who do you craft for mainly?
Myself. Because I’m selfish.
10. What do you like making the most and why?
I like making things that are challenging for me, or that have a couple of new techniques in them that I can dive right in there and suss out.
11. What really annoys you and why?
Rude entitled ‘special snowflake’ customers at work. The Stompy Boots of Entitlement don’t look good on anybody, especially when you pair them with the Oversized Cocktail Ring of Rude, the Pants of Flagrant Privilege or the Muumuu of Misdirected Whinging.
So without further ado, my 11 blogs are:
1) Bryce Halliday. I know this is more of a website than a blog, but the more people know of Bryce the better. I went to school with him and he is one hilarious duck.
2) Creating Miranda. The food posts get me every time, my keyboard has so much dribble in it.
3) The Patient Cook. You are also to blame for my dribble-clogged keyboard.
4) Aesthetic Contradiction. If I could wear latex on stage and not get mugged by elderly audience members, this is where I would get it from.
5) Women on the Shelf. Because women write stuff you should read.
6) Bobbins and Whimsy. Sewing, wit, wisdom, cats… what more do you need?
7) The Pragmatic Costumer. Because we all need more pragmatism, and the result she gets with even the most minimal materials is enough to make any theatre or opera costumer weep with jealousy.
8) Tanit-Isis Sews. If you’re wondering how to take a Big 4 vintage pattern and then make something so completely individual and awesome no-one will believe you used a pattern, this is how.
9) Thanks! I Made This Myself. I have the deepest admiration for anyone who quilts.
10) Matt’s Mutterings. Ponderings, wonderings and general cogitations from a maths-mad friend of mine.
11) Ashlee’s Costume Closet. This ain’t just cosplay, this is seriously amazing costuming. I wish I was her.
My questions for you are as follows:
1) Cats or dogs? (or armadillos?)
2) What was the last book you read? (graphic novels count)
3) Who is the best Doctor? (non-Doctor Who fans, just give this one a miss.)
4) What is your favourite global cuisine?
5) Which is your favourite season?
6) In the inevitable zombie apocalypse, which five people would be on your dream survival team?
7) Whose shoes would you like to spend a day in?
8) Coffee or tea? (or neither?)
9) If you could gain instant proficiency at/afford any musical instrument (that you don’t already play, musos amongst you), what would you pick?
10) Thoughts on David Bowie? (gosh I’m getting desperate for questions now, aren’t I!)
11) What is your standby go-to meal to cook when you don’t have anything in the cupboard and feel flat as a tack?
Have fun with those and share the love onwards 🙂