Firstly, I couldn’t resist filling a title with ‘oo’s. Secondly, I’ve been pinning things to my dodgy dressform, which pretty much equates to voodoo: sticking pins in a large stuffed copy of myself. I feel fine… apart from the shooting pains… Perhaps I have some latent talent for the black arts.
Anyway. I’ve got two things sort of on the go at the moment, one of which I can’t show you because it’s a birthday present for my sister. She requested a hot water bottle with a cute animal-shaped cover (kitties being highly preferable), so I can tell you that much, and having trawled the interwebs and the cute stores and I couldn’t find anything. Well. Nothing nice. So I figured I’d study my leopard-shaped one and work out how they did it. And hopefully optimise the design because while the leopard is mighty cute, he doesn’t quite fit over the bottle anymore. So I’ve started patterning, and I’ve got some absolutely lustrous faux fur (Lisa Ho faux fur, no less! This is gonna be one high-end kitty-hot-water-bottle) which I’ll bag out with a sturdy cotton lining. The ones from Big W are completely made of crappy polyester, so I figure high-quality faux fur lined in cotton will be safe. Safer, even.
The other is a skirt. I decided I need something different to wear in my recital seeing I’m spending half of it sitting down so I don’t look like some kind of evil soprano hulking like an overbearing heavy-breather over my hapless guitarist. Also it’s June. The chances of Melba Hall being comfortably heated are laughable, and most of my performance gear is either backless or not made of particularly insulating fibres. So I’ll make a long-sleeved but fancily-draped merino top (eventually. Hopefully) and pair it with this skirt I’m making, which is going to be a big-ass thing that fancies itself as a Dior New Look late ’40s/early ’50s silhouette. Which is going to be a damn sight comfier to sit in than a wiggle dress.
Here be what I have so far.
I’ve only got the bare bones yet. The foundation layer for the waistband, boned at the seams to stop it collapsing on itself, and one lining layer of very thin synthetic net stuff that my housemate the Adorable Folky gave me after she cleaned out her gran’s hoard of stuff. There’s more of it. Like, metres more. So I can go nuts with the friffiness. And once again my patterning is slightly too big, but this time it’s deliberate so that I won’t bust a zip with a big breath. After years of trying to breathe properly, I finally got the hang of it, and now get accused of taking ‘Wagnerian’ breaths in Donizetti by my teacher. I’m pretty sure it’s just a normal breath that looks big on me.
Then I pinned on my nice crispy new black silk to see how it’ll look when I cover it.
Then I got massively distracted with pins.
Exhibit A: ‘So what if I save a metre and make a matching bodice…’
Exhibit B: ‘So what if I buy 3m more and make an awesomer bodice…’
Exhibit C: ‘What if I just get a heap more fabric and make a whole other dress…’
Exhibit D: Ridiculously carried away by this point, envisaging asymmetrically-draped confections, requiring more yardage than I can afford…
And now I’m in a world of pain. I should probably take those damn pins out.