I’ve decided to keep Dido. I found a nasty memory foam pillow from IKEA that my Mum got one time she was visiting because she has a bad neck and had forgotten her normal pillow, and then left it behind because it was no good. It’s perfect stuffing for Dido though, because it naturally wants to spring back into a rectangular shape, so it holds the cover in a flatter-front-to-back-than-side-to-side shape that’s a closer match to me, and it’s really good to stick pins in. I added some extra, stiffer padding in the shoulders in the form of wadded-up cotton remnants (and I think I’ll add more), but she was still somehow lacking. Behold:
Dido stuffed with a memory-foam pillow.
She was actually more flat-chested than I am. I didn’t think it was possible, but there you go. So I stuffed a natty old pair of socks with some old shredded-up linen:
She looks way better now, and finally we have matching bust measurements! After I’ve re-stuffed her shoulders, I’ll sew down the tucks I’ve made in the cover to keep them in the correct spot.
Post-op Dido. It’s not a massive difference, but at least she looks like a girl now.
Tucks to lift and separate. Mostly separate.
I also decided to jump the gun and decorate her a bit. She has a bow on top, a ribbon to mark the waistline and some fairly hideous nylon lace around the bottom to hide the stripy shirting I’ve used to keep the pillow in the bottom. It’s all only pinned on at the moment, because I still have some padding to do. But she looks very pretty and might even turn out to be functional!
She’s already been really helpful in making some much-needed adjustments to the toile of my stays. I tried them on again this afternoon after pinning out all the bits that needed pinning out on Dido rather than having to sit and measure and measure again, and I didn’t take any photos because they were effective to the point of indecency. I have instead done a small cartoon:
It’s a bit hard to read. Sorry.